Skip to main content

Maybelline ClearSmooth All In One Shine Free Cake Powder

So today I went out with my parents again since there was nothing fun to do at home (The perks of being the only child living with my parents while all my siblings are residing at the far corner of the world lol). My mom went to the supermarket to buy some apples and veggies so I took the advantage and bought myself a new compact powder (which I am so desperate to have a new one since my one and only Pixy compact powder is running low). It's the Maybelline ClearSmooth ALL IN ONE Shine Free Cake Powder, with improved formulation and with SPF 32 PA+++, a little higher compared to the previous ClearSmooth formulation.

I got mine in shade 05 sand beige, the darkest one with pink undertone. I wish they have darker shade with yellow undertone (again, the perks of being an asian, yellow undertone is a must pfftt). I know Sephora has a lot of face powder with darker shades in yellow undertone, but I'm a cheapskate and I don't wear makeup on a daily basis. I ain't gonna spend that huge amount of money on one single product that I rarely use, well maybe someday, I don't know. I just wish drugstore makeups can fulfil this wish. A cheap compact powder with darker shades in yellow undertone. 

It costs MYR 10.50 including tax for a refill pack and the full pack with its casing costs around MYR 21+ if I'm not mistaken. I was going to pick the full pack at first but as I wasted my time around the cosmetics area, I thought to myself why not just pick the refill pack and give it a try first? Just scared that the shade won't look good with my skin tone. 

I know you might be thinking; why didn't you swatch first on your face before buying it? 
Ever heard of skin sensitivity? Yeah too bad I have that. Last time I tested Revlon's foundation and compact powder on my face and my skin freaked out in the next hour. And then the next day, I had rashes on the area where I tested the foundation and now I have an ugly scar on my face because I have the 'I like to pick my acne and rashes' problem. 

P/S: *Cough* Please ignore the lighting effects on my photos *Cough*



This product claims to be:-

1. Longer lasting shine control: Blend of water and sebum repellent powders keep skin shine free throughout the wear all day.

2.  Higher UV protection: SPF 32 PA+++ protects against UV rays responsible for skin darkening.

3. Longer wear: Breathable and lightweight, makeup stays true and even throughout the wear.

4. Instant brightening: Visibly makes skin brighter and more natural.

5. Conceals: Ultra fine powders and coated pigments effortlessly conceal spots and other imperfections.

6. Smoothes: Glides on skin with a silky soft texture that evens out skin surface for a visibly smooth complexion.

7. Evens: Developed for South East Asian skin tone, each shade blends evenly for a natural non cakey and tone perfecting finish.

I gotta admit I like the new look of the box compared to the previous ClearSmooth. The previous one looked boring. I also like its small casing and I like it that they include the sponge inside the casing, unlike the Pixy compact powder, you can't put the sponge inside the casing. Yeah yeah I know, I know that it is called a refill pack and you are required to refill the powder inside the bigger compact. I don't freaking have the compact or the casing or whatever it is called because it's not worth the price. You can get the same exact product for a cheaper price if you buy the refill pack. Just gotta minus the mirror. I have a huge mirror in my room so I don't think I need it. 

I just hope this new formulation won't break so easily because last few years I bought the previous ClearSmooth formulation and it broke! Without any reason, it just broke and I literally threw it away because I just don't like broken cosmetics. And plus, I didn't know how to fix broken makeups back then so the last resort is to throw it away lol I was so dumb, what a waste of money. I should have given it away to my friends.

So I tested this powder yesterday and I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with the results. I was hoping that this powder won't get so patchy but it did at the end of the day. Even you apply it on top of a good foundation, it still became a little patchy here and there.

It should have been great if I have the before and after picture but I did not have any because I am still battling myself whether to expose myself or not (lol). It's a big deal to me, apologise for that ladies. Back to the main topic, I wore this powder along with my nanowhite infinity CC cream (MYR 49.90). I was expecting a good result but man, was I so frustrated. Firstly, my face was not shine free at all. Secondly, a lot of powder patches, over the sides of my nose, a little bit on my chin, and also on my temples. I was so frustrated I just had to blot the oil all over my face and pat it a little bit to get rid of the powder patches. I guess my face is just too oily for this product. What a waste. 

 S T R I K E S : 
1. No yellow undertone for darker shades. That is like the biggest strike, ever. It's so hard to find a nice darker shade with yellow undertone that matches my skin tone!
2. It's not really long lasting and shine-control. It gets oily at the end of the day and it becomes patchy.

 W I N S : 
1. It's cheap and affordable.
2. I like the fact that the sponge can be stored in the container for just a refill pack. It's more hygienic that way, in my opinion though.
3. The sponge is so fluffy and you know it's a good sponge the moment you pinch it.
4. The amount of product you're getting for that price is just nice.
5. The powder is indeed very smooth.

Overall, I'd give this product at 3.5 stars out of 5. I'd give 4 stars if it doesn't get patchy because if it gets oily, it's understandable. But since it gets so patchy, that's not cool. You need a good face primer and a good foundation if you want this powder to look good on your face.

I guess that's it for this post. Just let me know in the comment section of what product do you want me to review next! 

xo

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your personal review for the product Maybelline ClearSmooth ALL IN ONE Shine Free Cake Powder. The powder and sponge look really smooth and nice. And best of all, the price is not very high.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simplysiti HidraVita Vitamin E Treatment Cream

Hi lovelies! Today I'm going to share with you a skincare product from Simplysiti. I bought this Simplysiti HidraVita Vitamin E Treatment Cream like a month ago but failed to post this review up in time. This is not a new product though, I just wanted to try out a new stuff and I have been liking anything about Vitamin E. It costs MYR 23.00 at Watsons, where they were having a sale because the RSP is RM33.90 and the price range will vary, depending on the outlets or drugstores. This is a pure Vitamin E cream and Vitamin E is good for skin recovery, as stated on the product. This treatment cream contains 30g of product. The picture above shows that the product come out as white, and as it blends out, it's just like a normal moisturiser. My first impression when I first put this cream on my face is, this product is a little bit oily. I'm not saying that I don't like it oily, it moisturises my face very well though. You can use it daily, and also at night. Th

Maybelline Haul

Hi guys! Took forever to update my blog since it's Eid month, and I don't have much time to go online and post a good entry. Anyway, ain't nobody got time for my Raya story because it doesn't seem that interesting for you to know so let's jump right in to my makeup haul! Recently, I went to Watsons and accidentally found out that Maybelline just came up with new products. I was just browsing through the makeup isle and didn't have any intention to buy a single makeup item, but oh well, I failed. Technically it's not really a new product, it's just they finally released them in Malaysia.  It's the Maybelline Baby Skin Pore Eraser and Clean Express Miracle Water a.k.a Micellar water. The 22ml Baby Skin Pore Eraser costs RM57 on Luxola but I bought it at RM27 on Watsons as it's on sale so I'm not entirely sure on it's actual price. Whereas the Micellar water costs RM19.90. Texture-wise, the pore eraser has the silicony te